We're expanding and looking to recruit an Operations Manager to join the CHS family.
As a team we are results-driven, commercially minded, self-motivated and entrepreneurial. We are ambitious, vibrant, hardworking and energetic. To join our team you must share our values and team culture and you will be rewarded with flexible working, respect, a fun company to work for and a role that you can be proud of.
About the company
CHS Group connects hotels, venues and specialist suppliers with UK event professionals by delivering trade exhibitions, meet the buyer forums and an awards programme.
We currently organise:
- The Conference and Hospitality Show, a trade show with over 230 exhibitors in West Yorkshire (www.conferenceandhospitalityshow.co.uk)
- CHS Awards, an awards programme recognising hotels/venues and individuals within the hospitality industry (www.chsawards.co.uk)
- Independent Venue Roadshows, a series of meet the buyer events for independently owned hotels and venues (www.chsgroupuk.com)
- London MICE Forum
About the role:
As Operations Manager and a member of the senior management team, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of our portfolio of events. The role requires the ability to manage multiple events at the same time, excellent leadership and communication skills and attention to detail.
The duties are but are not limited to:
- Managing the operational delivery of the events from conception to completion.
- Create an operational plan and ensure it is being delivered in an efficient and timely manner.
- Working with the COO to develop an operational strategy that meets/comes in on budget while ensuring high levels of exhibitor and delegate experiences and production values are maintained.
- Creating and managing of event operations budget, future planning and forecasting.
- Negotiation of all costs to ensure cost base is kept to a minimum.
- Working closely with the COO and any other parties to determine the overall ‘look’ of the show.
- Working with contractors, exhibitors and the Event Manager to ensure the onsite build and breakdown complies with all Health and Safety and venue regulations.
- Ensure the show is built to the correct plan and specifications; in close liaison with key contractors.
- Working with the sales team to design and manage the floor plans.
- Managing contractors and suppliers pre -show, on-site and post event.
- Create detailed risk assessments for each event.
- Consideration and management of health and safety issues and decisions; compiling a full and comprehensive health and safety file for each event, ensuring all documents are thoroughly checked and verified.
- Responding quickly and calmly to requests from exhibitors and contractors pre-event and onsite.
- Producing detailed signage schedules.
- Overseeing the ordering of all furniture and equipment needed on site.
- Producing an exhibitor manual and information packs for exhibitors.
- Managing appropriate staffing levels during the exhibition.
- Post show evaluation and development.
- Methodical filing and record keeping, arranging meetings, keeping minutes and follow up correspondence.
- Participation in regular internal team meetings as well as external client meetings.
- Setting KPIs for the operations team, reporting progress at weekly management meetings and keeping scorecards up to date.
- Developing event manuals and procedures.
- Motivate, coach, develop and manage the events team, including freelancers.
- Complete appraisals with the operations team.
Who are we looking for?
We’re on an exciting journey to build our events portfolio and we’re looking for someone who is accountable, fully engaged, thrives on being successful and reporting on their results. We’re looking for someone who will share the feeling that our clients get when they win new business – the buzz, the high, the sense of achievement.
As a team, we love the thrill of exceeding targets, supporting each other with our positive energy and showing grit and determination when the going gets tough. We’re still a relatively small team, so whilst you’ll have the support of your Line Manager, we don’t have time to micro-manage – so you’ll need to rely on your own passion and drive to make every day count.
Finally, integrity is key to our culture, so if you’re used to cutting corners or saying ‘that will do’ then this role isn’t for you. You’ll be working with a company that has a great reputation for being open and honest with support from your colleagues who share your passion and drive.
- Previous experience in the events industry.
- Previous financial/budgetary control experience.
- Previous experience organising a large event.
- Experience with working with CRM systems.
- Experience in managing numerous contracts on events.
- Understanding of operational, venue and local authority procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines and resolve problems under pressure, utilising effective time management.
- Ability to work within budget limits.
- Ability to remain calm in busy and stressful environments is key.
- Highly confident with strong communication skills, adapting to a broad range of people at every level.
- Highly organised and methodological, with high attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to hold yourself accountable.
- Prepared to work long hours and weekends.
- Experience in managing a remote/home based team.
Salary & contract type
- Salary: £35,000 plus bonus.
- Location: Home based with Head Office in York.
- Hours: Full time, Contract: Permanent.
- We are an equal opportunities employer.
6pm on Wednesday 31st July 2019.