Joining a membership organisation as an independent hotel or venue is one of the best ways to gain credibility, meet buyers and receive that much needed sales and marketing support. We understand that becoming a member of an organisation is a big investment to make and one that requires careful research and consideration.
We wanted to make your job easier by scouring the websites of some of the top membership organisations for independent venues, listing off their benefits, unique selling points and pricing, so you can make a decision for yourself that you feel confident about.
Read on for our ultimate guide on three of the available membership organisations for hotels and venues in the UK.
Benefits of Joining
- Nationally recognised AIM accreditation
- Access to corporate and agency buyers
- Discounted rates to 25 events a year, providing key industry topics and relevant networking
- Access to powerful benchmarking tool miaTouchstone - ability to create lucrative pricing strategies with data such as DDRs, 24hr rates, volumes and trends
- Greater commercial insights with critical updates and guides
- Marketing support to enhance online authority, SEO and reach
- Stand share opportunity at The Meetings Show
- Peer recognition with the prestigious miaList (an event recognising the passionate individuals and teams in the industry)
|No. of Employees||Annual Fee|
- Online research tool that allows you to benchmark your business, levels of enquiries, confirmed business and average rates against your own regional and national competition
- Allows you to implement an intelligent pricing strategy based on factual market intelligence data
- Helps you make bolder decisions to increase profitability
Disclaimer: All facts and figures taken from https://www.mia-uk.org/.
Benefits of Joining
- Support and protection of the HBAA Code of Practice
- Assurance and integrity for your corporate clients
- Exclusive members-only networking events
- Free places at two full day Members Meetings each year
- Free place(s) at Annual Forum and Annual Dinner (dependent on fee level paid)
- Discounted rates on HBAA group stands at industry trade shows
- Publicity via HBAA news and social media groups
- PR opportunities via HBAA's own activity with Clareville
- Exclusive access to HBAA white papers
- HBAA website Membership Directory presence with a link to your website
- Use of the HBAA & Code of Practice Assured logos on your company marketing material
- Opportunities to join a committee or working party
- Unlimited access for all your employees to the members-only areas of the HBAA website
- Discounted HBAA Academy training
- Opportunity for bespoke HBAA Academy training for your organisation
- Post your job opportunities on HBAA website
- Regular e-bulletins to promote association, member and industry activity
Membership Fees for Independent Hotels/Venues (fee is per venue)
|Annual Fee||Annual Forum||Annual Dinner|
|Up to 100 bedrooms or up to 10 meeting rooms||£390.00||0||0|
|100+ bedrooms or 11+ meeting rooms||£805.00||1||1|
- One day courses that include training materials, refreshments, lunch, and a show around of the hosting venue - hosted by a venue member
- Costs: £215 + VAT for members and £270 + VAT for non HBAA members
- Topic examples: stepping up to management, selling skills, be a better manager, proactive telephone skills
- Upon completing the course you receive a certificate of achievement
- Exchange of daily or weekly job swap between agencies and venues
- The main purpose of the scheme is to bring agencies and venues closer, allowing them to understand each other’s challenges, daily issues, business needs and drivers and client requirements
- Case study: https://www.hbaa.org.uk/sites/default/files/HBAA%20Immersion%20Lab%20Case%20Study.pdf
Disclaimer: All facts and figures taken from: https://www.hbaa.org.uk/
AEV - Association of Event Venues
Benefits of Joining
- Unlimited access to members zone which allows you to download their industry wide recognised best practice document
- Collaborate with members via a strong network of Working Groups from all areas of the events industry (eg. sister organisations including Association of Event Organisers (AEO) & Event Supplier and Services Association (ESSA)
- Access bespoke research for benchmarking and strategy development through regular contact with other members
- Read industry news delivered monthly
- Join multiple working groups
- Download free Health, Safety and Environment policy templates
- Have your existing documents audited
- Join over 40 leading venues and engage regularly through AEV
- Participate in partner events and awards (AEO and ESSA)
- Stand out to AEO and ESSA members as an approved AEV venue
- Use the AEV Logo, an increasingly recognised brand: a kite-mark for event venue excellence
- Use the eGuide adoptee logo demonstrating best practice in the industry
- Advertise for free on our industry wide recruitment pages
- Drive awareness of your venue through our free news service
- Collaborate across the wider industry via our allied associations, AEO and ESSA
- Get member rates at selected events: AEO Excellence Awards, ESSA Conference, AEO Marketing and Ops Forums
- Join the ESSA Discount Card scheme
Overseas Venues: All non-UK venues will be charged at the flat rate of £1,736 per venue.
Stadium: Flat fee of £1,367, to include participation in two working groups, additional groups are available at @ £230 per group.
Conference Centre: Flat fee of £1,367, to include participation in two working groups, additional groups are available at @ £230 per group.
Racecourse: Flat fee of £1,367, to include participation in two working groups, additional groups are available at @ £230 per group.
Arena: Flat fee of £1,367, to include participation in two working groups, additional groups are available at @ £230 per group.
Hotel: Basic membership fee of £580 to only include participation in a single working group.
UK Exhibition Venues: Fees based on sq./m of floor space:
- Venues up to 2,500 sq./m - £1,367
- Venues 2,501 to 5,000 sq./m - £2,703
- Venues 5,001 to 10,000 sq./m - £4,045
- Venues 10,001 to 15,000 sq./m - £7,322
- Venues 15,001 to 25,000 sq./m - £10,240
- Venues over 25,000 sq./m - £10,240 plus £0.22 per additional sq./m over 25,000 sq./m, capped at a total fee of £17,408.
- Venues with both indoor and outdoor space will be charged for space at the same rates as above for all indoor space. Outdoor space will be charged at a rate of one tenth that applicable to indoor space, where space is used for staging exhibitions. Fees are subject to a minimum rate of £1,367 and a maximum of £17,408.
- Venues with outdoor space only will be charged for space at a rate of one tenth that charged for indoor space and subject to a minimum rate of £1,367 and a maximum of £17,408.
- An initiative providing expertise and guidance to marketers and businesses that explains why and how face-to-face marketing works
- Leading exhibitor toolkit
- Enhances the performance of exhibitors and boosts the ROI of businesses using exhibitions as a marketing and sales platform
- FaceTime guides you how to get the very best out of FTF marketing and includes guides, training, webinars, masterclasses plus expert help for any businesses seeking exhibiting excellence
- Website: http://www.facetime.org.uk/
- 15-part free video series on exhibiting success
- In person one-day master class in London that costs £250
Disclaimer: All facts and figures taken from: https://www.aev.org.uk